Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kindergarten!


Are you sick of hearing about Kindergarten yet? I bet some of you couldn't wait for the first day of school just so that I would stop talking about it!
Today was the big first day, and Elias did great. I almost logged on when my alarm went off this morning to blog Observation #1 about Kindergarten: getting up before the sun really sucks. But then I wasn't sure it was really appropriate to say "sucks" on your blog when you are a pastor's wife. So I decided to save it until later today, slide it into a longer post, and hope you didn't notice. :)
I woke Elias up at 7am (yikes!) and he groggily said, "I am so excited!" Then he woke up a little more and sat up and said, "Today is my first day of Kindergarten! I have been waiting for this day all summer!" He went potty, got dressed, let me fix his hair, and came downstairs to eat breakfast. At 7:20 I went in to get Elena up (yikes even more! I don't think I have ever gotten her up before 8:15am unless we were catching an early flight somewhere!). I told her we had to take Elias to school and she said, "No, Elena big girl school." I got her dressed and fixed her hair and we were in the car at 8:30 exactly- just as planned! But I had forgotten her cup of milk I had poured and stuck back in the fridge at 6:30am when I got up. So back into the house I went, unlocked both locks, unset the alarm, grabbed the milk, set the alarm again, locked the locks again. We were only 2 minutes behind planned schedule!
It took 22 minutes to get to school though (normally only a 12 minute drive) because of all the school zones and crazy traffic of parents taking their kids to the 3 schools I pass on the way. Who are these people, anyway? Don't they know I have to get my kid to school?? :) We were still there with about 5 minutes to spare.
Adaryll met us in the parking lot and we all walked in together. We found Elias' seat and kissed him goodbye. It felt like dropping him off for Sunday school- totally not a big deal! (I think the finality of it will hit after several days of him being gone from 8-3, but since this first week is half days it just wasn't a big thing). Then Adaryll, Elena and I headed down to the Boo-Hoo or Woo-Hoo Breakfast they had for the Kindergarten parents. There was tons of food and kleenex and they had the tables set up with the teachers' names so you could sit with the parents of kids in your class. It was nice to meet and re-meet some of them. It is going to take me a while to learn all the names because there are 16 kids in the class! It was funny to see how some moms were really having a hard time, others celebrating, and others (like me) just okay with it all.
Then Elena and I came home and prepared a roast and veggies for dinner, worked on her learning her colors, played a game, and watched a show on TV. Before we knew it, it was time to go back and pick him up!
We went to McDonalds to pick up lunch on the way home. I got a great play-by-play of what all went on the first day including: morning board, moving silly ways while counting up to a number Ms. Horvath pointed to, a story about Samuel and Eli, coloring, snack, recess outside on the playground, and receiving awards for completing their first day. Elena was in bed for nap by 12:30 and Elias and I are soon to follow! Overall, I think it was a great first day!




5 comments:

McCullough Family said...

Yea for a great first day. You inspire me to start working on being okay when Luke goes off to school (in 3 years!)...I think the kids pick up on mom's fears a lot and you've done a great job of getting Elias ready...I'll be calling you :)

Millers said...

You got some really great pictures. I can't believe we have kindergarteners and NO I am not sick of hearing about kindergarten. I could listen to the stories until I fall asleep for sure. Sounds like you girls had a wonderful day. Miss you :(

The Spears said...

He looks so grown up. Awesome pictures too. We are so proud of Elias and just as proud of mommy and daddy Jordan for doing so well today!

Anonymous said...

it's neat to see the day from your viewpoint. and i LOVE hearing his retelling of what we did. that little guy's got a good memory! =)

Willow said...

Hey Jen, get that frig cleared off and buy lots of magnets, you're in for some awesome art work! Happy first day Elias, you ROCK!