Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Big Yellow Bus Is Just Around The Corner

Several years ago, I think even before I had Elena, I received an email from a friend whose youngest had just started Kindergarten. Now this friend is one of those moms who I admire immensely- she always seems to have the right things to say to her kids and communicates it with the right attitude. One of the things I have heard her tell her kids dozens of times is "People are more important than things" or "We love people more than things". It's just one of the many, many take-aways I have had from being able to watch her as a mom.
Back to the email. She had dropped off all 3 of her kids at school that day for the very first time. She talked about how her sweet son put one hand on her cheek and thanked her for being the best Mommy and for loving him just the right way. And how then she stood and walked out of his Kindergarten room with tears in her eyes. She went home and opened up the windows of the house and noticed that never, in the years since she had become a Mom, had her house been more empty and quiet. So with the curtains blowing in the breeze, she began to write her email.
She sent the email to me and 3 or 4 others of us that had kids around age 2 or 3 at the time. She specified that she wasn't writing to make us sad or anxious about what was coming our way, but that she just wanted us to embrace the time we had with our kids. Not take it for granted that they are home with us and that we get to stay home with them! She closed her email with, "The big yellow bus is just around the corner. Love, Martha"
Now, Elias isn't going to be riding a big yellow bus, but the principle still applies. I am realizing today that tomorrow is my very last full day with him before he is a school-boy. I truly am excited for him in so many ways. And I am excited for some of the new roles I will have as his Mom. But part of me is kind of mourning the end of an era. There are so many things that will change as a result of him being in school. And I am not always the best when it comes to change. Pray for me this week- my sweet baby boy is officially growing up, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet!

2 comments:

Millers said...

I feel your pain sister! Plan to stay busy as much as possible. It is a good change no matter how hard it hurts. The first day is the worst and then they are so excited that you are excited for them and can't help but smile. I will definitely pray for you my friend, I know exactly how you feel right now!!!!!!!

McCullough Family said...

I do pray that today was full of peace and joy for both you and Elias! A new era, for sure! I already feel sad that Luke will go to school in THREE years!?! I am a little crazy :)