Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Double Shot (maybe that is what I need now!)

It was really tempting to save this picture for a Wordless Wednesday, but I think the visual to go along with this story is too essential to leave out.
Elena had her 2-year-old check up today (i.e. SHOTS). She was in the 90th percentile for height (35.5 inches) and the 50th for weight (26.8 pounds). She is doing great developmentally and they were very impressed with her speech- both the amount of talking and the clarity of it all.
So at the end of her appointment, it was shot time. It wasn't until then that I let Elias know that he too would be getting some shots. I explained it to him like this: "Elias, you are starting school soon, and there are lots of germs at school. There are some shots that will help fight some of those germs." Still, he was scared. He pretty much started crying right then, and it was still another 10 minutes before the nurse actually came in with the shots! We decided that maybe it would help if we sang a song together while he got the shots, and he had chosen Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.
He started to panic as soon as the nurse walked in the room. I sat him on the table and laid him back while she cleaned off his legs with alcohol wipes. I was leaning over him when she did the first shot in his thigh and all the sudden, through big sobs, I hear "TWINKLE, TWINKLE, LITTLE STAR!!! (sob sob sniff) HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU ARE!!!!" I forgot we were going to sing, and, frankly, I didn't know she was starting. But Elias remembered, and he yelled it out through his tears. I wish I had it on recording. We finished the song together while she finished the shots and put on his band-aids. He was crying sooooo hard.
Once he was done and sobbing a little less, I sat him in a chair and gave him a sucker. Then I picked up Elena from her chair to take her to the table. The nurse said to her, "Are you ready?" and she just started bawling right then. She only had to get 1 shot, so it was quick. Afterwards, the nurse gave them both high-five. I told Elena to say thank you, and she just looked at that nurse with the biggest frowned brow I have ever on her face.
So I sat them both back up on the table and took their picture with my phone while they both cried. Really, it was just too memorable of a moment to not blog.

6 comments:

Jay and April said...

how awful for them....poor babies!

Brandy said...

I think we should have gone for the double shot last night! Thanks for being there for us! :)

Anonymous said...

Hannah used to cry upon arrival at the pediatrician if she even suspected she was getting a shot, so I can sympathize! Love the story!

Millers said...

I must admit that I laughed through the entire entry. I feel bad for them but really they look so pitiful they are funny. All better now I am sure.

Adaryll Jordan said...

I was thinkin' what Jenny said.
Jen texted me the picture and I carried around in our building and said, "Look at these two PITIFUL faces!"

McCullough Family said...

poor little guys! It's moments like those that break a mama's heart!