Friday, May 2, 2008

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary- How Does Your Garden Grow?

The kids and I planted a garden. Don't laugh- I am actually a LOT better at keeping outside plants alive than I am inside plants! After I had Elena I remember telling several people, "No, please don't give me a plant! I can't be responsible for sustaining the life of anything else!" So last summer I started an awesome perennial garden in our front bed in Indiana (How is that doing, by the way, neighbors?) and here we are growing vegetables! My, how times have changed!
Every good Christian parenting author recommends gardening with your kids. So, in reality, this is more about the spiritual illustrations than the actual produce. If we actually get veggies in the end- BONUS!
We have already seen how different plants grow at different rates. We sowed all the seeds on the same day (except the pumpkin and watermelon which grew in our windowsill for a month, which is really what started this whole thing). Some of them sprouted within 5 days. The peppers still aren't doing anything. Some of them have really rapid overnight change- the corn looks different every time we look at it! And other things grow more slowly. All of those things are examples of how God works in the lives of different people. And how it is only our job to sow the seed. The Holy Spirit makes it grow.
So, I thought it would be fun- if I can remember- to take pictures each Friday of our garden so we can all watch it grow together. And if you really get into it, you are welcome to come over for dinner made with something from our garden when we start the harvest! (Even you Hoosiers- it's a good excuse for a trip to TX being that you will have put so much time and effort into this garden checking up on it each Friday!)
So, here is what we are growing....


A row of carrots, not yet thinned as they just came up yesterday.

Lettuce

Okra (mmmm, fried okra!)

Squash

Cantaloupe

Cherry Tomatoes

Watermelon

Pumpkin

And, last but not least, Sweet Corn (a tribute to all our Hoosier friends)

So, if anyone has any advice on growing veggies or teaching your kids spiritual things through gardening, post a comment and let me know!

2 comments:

amypfan said...

Todd is taking excellent care of your lawn--and making the rest of us wildly jealous with his lawn prowess, as usual. The flowers aren't really up yet, but it was only in the 50s today. We're jealous of your Texas warmth! I was thinking this morning about how much I miss you guys... I miss coming home and seeing Elias playing in the driveway, and I miss being able to just walk out my front door and visit! I'm glad to hear you're doing well though.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Came across your blog and was impressed by your using veg growing to illustrate the Christian faith. It`s a super, hands on way of relating God`s ways, love and provision towards us.

I hope the children enjoy the fruits of their hard work (and you too - mum and dad, I suspect you put in most of the heavy work).

Laurence

http://www.vegetable-garden-guide.com