Friday, May 9, 2008

I'm Gonna Live Where the Green Grass Grows

Everytime I go out to check on our garden I start singing that Tim McGraw song. I am going to try to insert a link here so you can hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmRhCBeVnmc
The chorus says:
I'm gonne live where the green grass grows,
Watch my corn pop up in rows,
Every night be tucked in close to you.
Raise our kids where the good Lord's blessed,
Point our rocking chairs towards the west,
And plant our dreams where the peaceful river cools.
Where the green grass grows.
Ok, so we aren't exactly on a farm with acres and acres of corn and peaceful rivers. It actually sounds more like Indiana than Texas. But this song just makes me think of Home. And I just get this overwhelming feeling that that is where we are- Home. I just love it here! I'm not limiting God that He couldn't send us somewhere else in the future, but I just feel so at Home here. It IS Texas, afterall! And growing a garden and watching our 3 baby corn stalks pop up in a row just makes it feel all the more Home-ish.
So, here is the update on the garden.
Lesson from this week: 1 Corinthians 3:7 says "So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow." Paul is talking about how he "planted" the spiritual seeds in Corinth. He had told people about what Christ did for them and formed the church in Corinth. Then Apollos had come along and "watered" those seeds. He had taught the church more about what a relationship with Christ looks like and led them spiritually. But only God could make those people grow, or LIVE their faith. We are workers with God, but our work is futile if we don't recognize that, without him, nothing can happen.
We are seeing this in the fact that we planted lots of peppers (sweet ones and hot ones) at the same time that we planted the rest of the plants. All the peppers are still inside in the little starter green house. Only about 4 of them have sprouted. We planted exactly the way the package said, just as we did the other plants. We watered, just as we did the other plants. But some of them aren't growing. And you know what? There isn't a darn thing we can do about it! We just can't make them grow! Only God can. In the same way, we don't possess the ability to be loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, self-controlled people by our own effort. Those are the fruit of the Spirit. And only a relationship with God can bear such fruit.
Here is a video of Elias explaining how everything is growing...



3 comments:

amypfan said...

I love it! I have always liked that song, and your explanation of the peppers is absolutely perfect. I miss you, neighbor!

The Spears said...

As you see.... your garden rocks! Of course as you see... not as much as your kids rock. But as you see... hearing the explinations of a garden growing in the eyes of a 5 year old as you see is very enlightening!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Elias is too funny.

Anonymous said...

I miss you! I love your garden, and I love all of you. I was tickled to see that Elias brought his baby outside to tell us about his garden, but he had to put it down to really get serious. I also love that Elias thinks lettuce is for hamburgers! (Of course it is for hamburgers, but I was expecting him to say it's for salad! Silly me.)

Aunt Jenny