Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Belated Garden Update

The pictures were taken on the right day (Friday), they just didn't make it to the computer until today. I have told several people that I feel like my blog is somehow my connection to the world. It is how I can still feel close to people I love who are far away. But Dan and Carrie and their little boy Luke, people who we love, were here staying at our house all weekend, so my need for blogging was not quite so prevalent! So, here is the belated update on the garden...

Left to Right: Carrots, Lettuce, Okra

Squash and Canteloupe

Tomatoes and Watermelon

Pumpkin


Corn (Ours will be knee high by the 4th of June instead of July!)

The lesson we talked about this week is from 1 Corinthians 3:1-2. Here is the text: 1Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.

We talked this week about how some of the plants are growing really rapidly and others are sort of stagnant. A couple of them (tomatoes in particular) look no different from when they first popped up a few weeks ago. Paul is saying that, as Christians, some of us are just like we were when we first accepted Christ. We haven't grown. We are like infants or babies still needing milk instead of graduating on to the meat. Our pastor, Tim Hawks, recently spoke about this and clarified that this "maturing" isn't about acquiring all kinds of knowledge and information. It is about how we act. So, do we act the same as when we were planted and show no growth like the tomatoes? Or are our lives a reflection of our growth in relationship to Christ, and so we act more like him as time goes by?

No comments: