Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hello Opinionated

It all started a couple of weeks ago when Elena had a fever. I got her out of bed, took her temperature, and then realized we were NOT going to be leaving the house that day. So I asked her "Do you want to just wear pajamas today?". She excitedly replied "Jah-Mahs!". And so her first official Pajama Day began.
Well, you can guess what happened the next day. I got her out of bed and proceeded to pick out an outfit. As I brought the clothes to the changing table she began to insist "No pants! No pants!" I quickly realized this was not about actually wanting or not wanting to get dressed. It was a battle of wills. And those of you who know me well know that she was not going to win a battle of wills! We have a rule in the Jordan family- we wear pants when we leave the house. I see no good reason for that rule to change. Sorry, Elena, but you lose this one.
Knowing that it is important to let her exercise some freedom and decision making, I began that week letting her choose between 2 pairs of shorts. Once she picked, I would then let her pick between 2 shirts. But then we came to the shoes.
Elena has a worn out pair of Target white sandals that we got around Easter. She lived in them until I recently got her some new Crocs. The white sandals are dirty and scuffed and just not nearly as cute as Crocs (I know I have a problem and need treatment for my Crocs addiction). But Elena really, really, really loves those Target sandals because they have butterflies on them.
I may be naive, but I really think she just likes the butterflies! I wanted to let her wear what she liked, but-Hello!- there are some great, cute Crocs in the closet too!

Today I realized there was a way we could both be happy! We took a trip to the Crocs outlet and came to a compromise. Elena spent the next 15 minutes giggling at her toes saying, over and over, "Pretty butterflies!"

Goodbye "Dress-me-however-you-want". Hello Opinionated.

1 comment:

amypfan said...

Do you think they have a 12-step program for people who are addicted to Crocs? That being said, this cracked me up because Bryn also insists on wearing her dirty white Target sandals (worn out in the last month, since she insists in sleeping in them as well!) instead of her cute (generic) Crocs, no matter how much I try to convince her otherwise!