Monday, October 13, 2008

Reading

I have been on a reading kick the last week or so. I got the latest Karen Kingsbury book last week, Sunset. It is #14 in a series of books I started about year ago. I read the first 10 in about a month and then had to wait in between the releases of the last few. Such a bummer to have to wait for a book to come out!!! Her books are such easy-reads that it only takes a couple days to get through them.
Then I decided I would finally read The Shack. Having read what it was about (a little girl being abducted from a campground and her father's struggle with God about that), I had decided I would not read it. I have too many fears as a parent already. Why expose myself to such a story? But as weeks went by, more and more people told me that I need to read it. I finally borrowed a copy Saturday, started it yesterday afternoon and am finishing it today. WOW! Seriously, everyone needs to read this book. It has way more to do with who God is, what our presuppositions about Him are, how we put Him in a box, etc. than it does the actual little girl's abduction. My mind has been expanded on so many levels. I now need my own copy to go back and write in (when is the last time you wrote in a fiction book???! I don't think I EVER have!).
Anyone else out there read it yet? What are your thoughts? What were your favorite lines (or paragraphs!)?

4 comments:

The Partin's said...

I read my aunts copy in 2 days when I was over this summer. Although I don't agree with everything in the book it is very thought provoking and eye opening. I agree that I need my own copy to read and read again. I will email you a link that a friend of mine posted regarding the book.

Willow said...

I loved the book! I realize that it is fiction but it gave me a wonderful picture of the trinity. It also reminded me about the importance of forgiveness and that God is always in control in all situations. I bought my own copy so I could read it again.

AmyB said...

I was on my library's waiting list to borrow the book FOREVER, and when I finally got it I realized why it had taken so long for my turn to come! Sometimes I was so stunned by an idea that I had to put the book down for a little while and just let the concept sink in/evaluate it before I could go on. There were several things that really spoke to me... one of which was how selfishly clouded my perception of good and bad events are. Glad you also enjoyed the book!

Anonymous said...

I read the book earlier this summer. I was worried about how it might affect me at first because it involved the death of a child. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down until I finished it.