Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Once In A Lifetime (I hope!)

Today Elena was transported by a careflight airplane from the hospital in Dallas to a hospital in Austin. I really can't describe the feelings I had in anticipation of the flight. I was excited to be going home, worried about how she would do, scared I might puke on the helicopter, sad to be leaving the nurses we liked so much, glad to be going to a great support system of friends at HCBC. I was all over the place. Those of you who know me know that when I get to be a wreck emotionally, I tend to unravel physically as well. Without giving you too much detail, I will say that I did not make it through this day without the assisance of drugs. No worries- it was over the counter stuff. :)

We were scheduled to leave last night at 7pm, but we kept getting delayed due to the ice in Dallas. They changed plans from helicopter to plane back to helicopter several times during the night, but we ended up on a plane this morning around 9am. The adventure speaks for itself in pictures, so I will just let you have a look. Enjoy!

In the ambulance from the hospital to the airport in Dallas
With a paramedic (we had a team of 3) in the ambulance in Dallas.

With another paramedic in the ambulance in Dallas. They were all so great with her! In fact, I was riding in the front seat and they got my camera out and started taking pictures!

Heading towards the airplane in Dallas

Our plane (notice the propellers!)

Getting buckled in on the plane

A little in-flight movie on my ipod. For what this ride must have cost, we figured their ought to be some entertainment. Earbuds provided by generous paramedic who let her borrow his.

"Look at the clouds!"

A little catnap on the plane

Getting off plane

Getting in ambulance in Austin

Having a great time with paramedics in ambulance on route to hospital

We made it to the hospital!

Getting into her new bed in her new room in Austin

(to which she replied, "I wanna go on another plane and go back to my other room")

You have no idea the trouble we went through to get you to this room, sister!

5 comments:

The Fones Files said...

Awww...I am so glad that yall are safe in Austin! We have been praying for your sweet little girl all day. Tell her to get better soon and to come and see us!!!!

Millers said...

I am so glad to see that you made it closer to home. Keep us updated and get some rest friend!! Love you ;)

Cathy said...

Glad you guys got safely home, well closer to home anyway. She looks awful happy to be so sick. Recover swiftly! We pray on.

The Partin's said...

Still praying for you guys! She is such a Trooper with that smile on her face :) I hope you get some rest!!

amypfan said...

What a brave little girl! She looks like she even managed to have some fun along the way.