Monday, September 29, 2008

Refreshed and Renewed

I was able to go on the HCBC Women's Retreat this past weekend, and it was amazing! I haven't been away overnight since we had kids except to be in the hospital (which isn't exactly refreshing OR renewing) and when I spent the night in Atlanta a few weeks ago for Carter's funeral (ditto!). So I was a little anxious about being away for TWO nights, but I was looking forward to it at the same time.
The weekend was focused on God's grace. It was incredible to hear the stories of all the women in our cabin and how God has shown them grace in various forms at various times. I am still just in total awe of how each person in our cabin was able to minister to another (or several) just by being there and sharing their hearts. There were some tears in the sharing, of course, but there was able an unbelievable amount of laughter. And I mean fall-out-of-your-chair-because-it-hurts-so-bad laughter! It was just awesome. Here are a couple of antecdotes:
* Jaime found a surprise in her suitcase while she was unpacking the first night. She had accidentally brought the remote control from home. Later, as part of an ice breaker, she told us that the best gift she ever got was a fancy sewing maching from her husband. Then someone broke in and warned her that someday there will be a men's retreat, and her husband will have the pedal to her sewing machine in his suitcase. All the visuals that went along with that story were hilarous.
* I got to spend about an hour getting to know Michelle, who happens to be Elias' Spanish teacher. It was so nice to just sit on the porch and hear what God has done in the life of her family. Just and incredible testimony! And it turns out that she is from ElPaso, which is where I lived from age 3 to age 16. We had so much in common! I look forward to seeing her in the halls at school and being able to give her a hug!
* Erin shared her amazing story about what God brought her family through in 2007. Seriously, I don't think I have heard of anyone with more tragedies one right after another after another after another. But the way her family responded was SO inspiring, and I am really looking forward to getting to know her better! They just moved to Austin 2 months ago!
* I got a haircut from Laura at almost midnight the second night. When we found out that she was a hairsylist (and make-up artist!), we all decided we needed makeovers. But we got a really late start and the scissors were awful (someone went and bought them at a Walgreens!)! Still, she did an awesome job on everyone who let her!

OK, I have to stop now or I will never get to bed! (which is kind what actually happened those two nights!) There are so many fun stories, I simply can't tell them all!
But I will say that I came back refreshed and renewed. (and EXHAUSTED!) I know that for sure, because today my car died in the carpool lane. Once I got it jumped, I went to WalMart to get a new battery. Now this was at the end of the day when the kids and I are typically tired and cranky and hungry. But for some reason today, I was really able to just roll with it. It took 2 hours and 15 minutes to get out of there. Then Elias' Cowboys croc strap broke and my diaper bag zipper broke.
As I relayed the story to Adaryll on the way home (he was working late), he said, "I am so glad you went on that retreat". I hadn't thought about it up to that point, but I am sure my reaction to the whole situation would have been totally different if I had not had the little break that I did. Isn't that just so God? He knew my battery was going to die on Sept. 29. So he scheduled me to miss my kids desperately the weekend before. And it kept me from strangling them in WalMart. I am so, so thankful for His grace!

No comments: