Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Breathe

I feel a little bit like I am drowning and having a hard time coming up to breathe. It really isn't all that bad, but having to be at specific places at specific times is really taxing!!!
My pre-kindergarten life was very regimented and scheduled. But it was MY schedule!!! And if we had a day where we were out a lot, then I had the option of staying home and literally not leaving the house for the next 2 or 3 days.
Life now consists of waking up to an alarm at 6:30am. I honestly can't remember the last time I used an alarm to wake up, and I certainly haven't seen the 6's in a very long time. Maybe since Elena had an early morning nursing time. I didn't wake up til the 7's. Which was fine, because I didn't get the kids up until 8:00 or 8:30. And if they did wake up early, they don't get out of bed (see previous post about "Do not get out of bed rule"), so it didn't really affect my schedule.
So, now I get up with the alarm. Then another alarm tells me I need to go get Elias up at 7:00. A third tells me when it is time to get Elena at 7:20. Otherwise I would get really sidetracked, and it would be 8:00 and school would be starting and we would all still be in PJ's! But all these alarms are stressing me out!
So now that I have that out of my system, and I can take a breath. Thanks for listening.

Here is Elias' report of that they did at school today:
He loved chapel. He really like a song about how deep, high, long, and wide God's love is. He bought his lunch and the spaghetti, pineapples, corn, and breadstick were all really good. He wants to buy again the next time they have that. They had art class out in the art portable. They drew lines with markers, but he doesn't remember his art teacher's name. They had rest time. His teacher turned off the lights, but not all of them, and they laid on the floor. They listened to quiet music. I asked him if that was funny and he said no. (I was trying to guage whether he was folling around or really resting) He reported that they had THREE recesses! And that recess is his favorite part of the day. He played balance beam with Holloway the first two times and with his friend from Kinder B the third time. They learned about the letter I. He told me he has a new friend named Still. (It is actually Steel, but I could not convince him of this).
I am so thankful that he is enjoying himself and making new friends. He really seems to like school so far. I've worried that all the hustle and bustle would stress him out. Who wouldn't be stressed out by a mother saying "You have 2 more minutes to finish that breakfast and we have to leave. We are going to be late" or "You have 3 minutes to finish you dinner and you have to get dressed for Tball! Hurry, hurry!" Ugh. Sometimes I hear myself and think, "That is NOT the mother I want to be!" The good thing is, we get to start over each day and I can try to get it right tomorrow.

3 comments:

myra said...

I was reading the previous post and this one outloud to Matt and we were both just laughing outloud. Not at you but because we have SO been there and now you know why we homeschool! :) It is stressful and we HATE alarm clocks!! We stopped using them years ago because they would go off and they would put us in such a bad mood. I would much rather be awoken some other way ;) And be the monitor of our own schedule.
How is Elena doing with waking so early and the new schedule?
Sound like Elias is loving school and doing well.
Thanks for posting Crosby's letter, Matt and I enjoyed reading that too a few nights ago.
We miss you guys and hope we can catch up soon.

Stephanie said...

I'm glad school is going well for him. Emma started preschool, and mom just sent an email that said she got a "yellow card" today because she told the teacher no... again. :)

Ki said...

Hey, I am so with you on the schedules. I have three kids at three different schools and two part-time jobs! All I do is juggle!!!! It will get easier, sister! Love ya!
Kirsten