Monday, September 29, 2008

Girlfriend

Yet another conversation that occurred in the car recently...



Elias: Mommy, do you have a boyfriend?
Mommy: Sure I do! Daddy!
Elias: Nooooo. Not Daddy! I mean, do you have any boyfriends?
Mommy: Well, what do you mean by boyfriend?
Elias: You know, a friend that is a boy.
(now I am wondering if this is actually something he has heard about at school or if he has just heard me refer to my girl friends and "girlfriends")
Mommy: Well, yes. I do.
Elias: Who are your boyfriends?
(For some reason now the only people I can think of are my friends here that are pastor's wives. So I am thinking I could say that their husbands are my friends. Then I imagine Elias at church telling his Sunday School teacher that "Pastor so-and-so is my Mommy's boyfriend" and I decide that is a bad idea. I choose, instead, to mention people that live in another state.)
Mommy: Well, Mr. Himelick is my friend. And Mr. Miller. And Uncle Jeff.
Elias: Yeah.
Mommy: Do you have any friends that are boys? Because that is really what we call them. And we can call girlfriends friends that are girls.
Elias: Yeah! Kalii and Holloway. But I do have a girlfriend Mommy.
Mommy: You do? Who is it?
Elias: Kylee. (Elias' best neighbor girl in Indiana, who he hasn't seen since January)
Mommy: Well, if Kylee is the girl that you like the best, than I guess that is right. Because that is what a girlfriend is. The girl you like the best.
(Elias smiles)

We miss you Kylee!




No comments: