Monday, July 14, 2008

Testing 1,2,3

This is a big week of tests for the Jordan girls.
I had an MRI Friday to take a look at my foot and what might still be causing pain. It is probably going to be inconclusive, which means I will have to go back for a CT Scan or a bonescan, because (HELLO!) I have 2 huge screws in my foot which made the MRI a big, blobby blur. The hope was that the screws were titanium and wouldn't interfere with the images, but apparantly they aren't. I also saw a doctor today to address some stomach issues, so I get to go in for some kind of a scan for that too. I always try to reframe these types of things and tell myself that it is really like a day out at the spa- laying there reading a book and relaxing with no kids to worry about. But this test involves a big chalky drink that I am pretty sure is not offered at any spas.
Sidenote: When I had to be hospitalized about a year ago for an infection, the nurses thought it was hilarious that I kept saying "We are just going to pretend this is a spa..." I had this beautiful room with a flat screen TV and a laptop with internet access that was suspended over the bed. It was incredible. The food was great, the nurses were super. But then the PICC line team came in and I was quickly brought back to reality that hospitals, no matter how nice, are not spas!
Elena also has a big appointment this week. Her allergist is sure she is allergic to peanuts and treenuts because of a reaction she has everytime I give her a granola bar with trace nuts. (I won't go into the specific reaction because- just trust me- you don't really want to know) The allergist said at her last appointment that he wouldn't run the skin tests on her until she turned 2. So here we are. I'm hoping to get some clear answers on what it is she is reacting to.
Yay for modern medicine and the ability to poke the skin and figure out what you are allergic to. Or to spin a giant magnet around and find out if a bone is bad (unless, of course, you have a metal object right there!). Stinky that it is the Jordan girls having to do it.

6 comments:

Ginny said...

Can't Adaryl go drink that chalky stuff for you? :) I bet he would if he could. I have just been putting up with stomach pain for a while so I don't have to go drink that stuff. :) Tell me how it goes! Good luck!

Stephanie said...

Good luck with your tests!

I can kind of see where you're coming from. When I have CT scans to check my aorta, it's a half day off work, and I can sit in the waiting room and either think about nothing or read a book. I also try to amuse the medical people with random stories - because I think they are mostly used to having older, crabbier people. So I'm extra nice to them. :)

Cathy said...

Too bad you can't go to the children's hospital and get yummy tasting barium business. Chris didn't seem to mind so much. They told him to bring his favorite drink to put it in...maybe that would help. Good luck.

Cathy said...

P.S. Waiting rooms are my one and only chance to get caught up on the smut: you know how's Britney doing, who's having who's baby now, inquiring minds want to know.

Jordan said...

Bummer...wish you gals were coming to my "spa" this week. I pray everything goes well and painlessly.

Willow said...

Take it all at once or in as large a gulp as you can handle. Take a good book and realize that everyone else in the waiting room feels the same way you do. Let us know how you girls do. Prayers and good thoughts headed your way.