Friday, July 18, 2008

Fun At The Kitchen Table

The other day, as a special "art time" treat, I covered our entire kitchen table with paper. (Thanks so much to my dear friend, Lori, who got me an entire roll of unprinted newsprint a couple of years ago from her dad who works at the newspaper). Anyway, I got out some markers and let the kids just go to town.
Elena loved just scribbling away all in one little space. Granted she was buckled into her booster and could only reach so far. Elias filled the other 80% of the paper with random drawings and activities. Here are a few...

From Elias: "This is our family. Elena, me, Mommy, and Daddy. Daddy has crazy hair like Elena because he needs a haircut"


From Elias: "This is me and my new friend, Holloway. We are putting up a tent." (note: Holloway's mom works at the church and we have had a couple of playdates. The boys have VERY similar personalities and get along really well. We just found out this week that they are going to be in the same class this fall! Yeah!)

This one is hard to see, but we were practicing "dictation". I say a sentence and Elias writes it down. He has trouble remembering to put a space between words, so the first one he wrote says "DaddyHasAHat." We later went back and added ".com" because it looked like a website with no spaces. We all had a good laugh at that. He also wrote "Mommy loves Elias.", "Tom is a cat.", and "Jerry is a mouse."

Elias also loves math, so I wrote out some math problems with squares for him to write the answers in. After the first 6, he had me check his work. I wrote checkmarks next to them. When I came back, he had finished his work, checked it himself, and written his own checkmarks next to the rest of the problems. Yet another example of his independent personality!

No comments: