Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Saga Continues

There are many, many things I have learned in the last 12 hours. Maybe too many to post all at once, but here are a few...
- There is a very distinct gurgling sound that is emitted from the innards of a child about 2 seconds before they puke. Surprisingly, this is long enough for a mom to wake from sleep, jump out of bed, and scoop a bowl under a child's mouth. It's also long enough for a dad to wake from a sleep, with a sleeping toddler on his chest, and run to another room with linoleum floor before puke goes everywhere.
- If you roll up some toilet paper and stuff it in your nostrils, cleaning up stinky puke is much more bearable.
- Zofran really only last 4 hours. The bottle says "Take every 4-6 hours" and apparently they knew what they were talking about when they said that. Too bad we only started with 1 pill.
- It is possible to disinfect an entire house in one morning if you are really determined to stomp out the germ and not get sick yourself. I covered every single surface in our house today with every disinfectant we own, including light switches, door knobs, thermostats, telephones, toys, computer keyboards, etc. I am SO hoping Adaryll and I don't get sick!
- I don't know what I would do without a washing machine and dryer!!!

So here is the rest of the story...
Elias started puking again around 11:30pm (4 hours after he took the zofran), and it pretty much went on all night. There was a point at which it was every 15 minutes. Needless to say, I was a sleepy mom this morning.
When it was time for Adaryll to get up and get ready for church, he offered to take Elena with him so I would just have Elias to take care of. I went into Elena's room to get her ready to go and found her entire bed, and herself, COVERED in puke. It was everywhere! Poor little baby must have puked all night long like Elias did, but she never cried out and I never heard her in the monitor. I felt so bad for her!
I got her bathed, her bed stripped, and laundry going while Adaryll made some phone calls to get his Sunday morning responsibilities covered so that he could stay home. Then I proceeded to clean the entire house while Elias read books and Elena laid on Adaryll.
Elena is still puking, but Elias seems to be past the worst. He kept down about 4 ounces of water this morning and he is having some crackers right now, so we will see how that goes. Elena is sleeping on Adaryll right now in her rocker, which is unheard of for her. I think we will probably just hold her until the puking stops so that at least the mess is contained. Both kids still have mild fever.
Oh, I SO hope that Adaryll and I don't get this! We have both taken double doses of elderberry, sovereign silver, and grapefruit seed extract to try to ward it off. I will keep you updated!

2 comments:

The Spears said...

This is the part of parenting that I am NOT looking forward too at all! Is there a way to ensure kids never get sick? I can't stand it when my husband gets sick, I can't imagine what it would be like with kids!!! Praying you all feel better.

Cathy said...

I am learning that precurser sound very well. Unfortunately. I am getting good at running for restrooms in public too. Sorry to hear about the mass "exodus".
Get well soon!