Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Independence

Conversation that occurred between Elias and Mommy a few days ago...

E: You know what I did the other day during relaxing time Mommy? (note: this is the time that he is in his bed reading books or doing LeapPad, etc. while Elena naps in the afternoon)
M: Nope, what did you do?
E: I asked Jesus to live in my heart.
M: You did?!
E: Yep!
M: What did He say?
E: Well, I didn't hear Him say anything?
M: Did you feel Him come live in your heart?
E: Well, I feeled it beeping.
M: Did you tell Him why you want him to live there?
E: Because I want to go to heaven.
M: Oh, well remember honey that you have to tell Him that the reason why is that you need him to forgive you of your sins. I don't think He can come live in your heart until you tell Him that. The Bible says that we have to admit that we are sinners and that we need forgiveness. Then God can forgive us and live in our hearts.
E: OK, I will do that next time I have relaxing time.

We have had a few other occasions where Elias wanted to ask Jesus to live in his heart, but the root of the motive was so that he could go to heaven. Not that he needed forgiveness of his sins. We have told him each time that children go to heaven already, and that God is very excited that Elias is learning more about being in His family.

A few days later...
E: Do you know what I did during relaxing time, Mommy?
M: What?
E: I asked Jesus and God to forgive all of my sins and all of the bad things I have done.
M: Really? And then what?
E: And then I asked Jesus to live in my heart. And He did.
M: That is great Elias!

I think he really gets it now. And it is so sweet and right in line with his personality that he would want to take care of this matter on his own in his room alone. He is such an independent kid with such a sweet, sensitive heart. I pray that God will use him in mighty ways as he grows and learns more about his decision to love God with all his heart, soul, mind & strength.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray right along with you for Elias to become a "man after God's own heart."
(Jo)

amypfan said...

What a great kid you guys have--probably because you are such great parents!

Cathy said...

That is awesome, so young and so smart. What a blessing!

McCullough Family said...

I am crying! That is so sweet and so obvious that it is the Spirit at work in his heart and that his parents have taught him well! Praying for that little guy :)