Thursday, April 2, 2009

Of Unknown Origin

Yesterday, in the car after school (still in the parking lot), Elias says to me, "Mommy, my toe hurts." He kicks off his Croc and puts his foot up in the front seat. I look at his toe and it looks fine. I squeeze it and he laughs. I pull it up and he laughs. I push it down and he yells, "Ow! Ow! Ow!" Then I notice that the top of his foot is really swollen and something is definitely wrong. I ask him how he hurt it and he has no idea. I ask him if it was hurting at lunch or recess or carpool and he has no idea. He says he thinks it started hurting in the car. Clearly, it was hurt before he got in the car or it would not be ridiculously swollen. Off to the pediatrician we go. Mainly because he has t-ball practice and I don't want him to go without being looked at. (but I don't want him to miss it if nothing is really wrong.)
After seeing our doctor and being sent somewhere else for x-rays, we came home to wait. They called this morning and said that he broke his tarsal. We would need to go see the pediatric orthopedic guy. After spending 3 and a half hours in his office, (and I have NO EARTHLY IDEA why it would take that long!!) we left with Elias sporting a Texas Tech Red cast. He has to wear it for 4 weeks. The real challenge is the no running rule (which we had to expand to "no jumping, hopping, skipping, galloping, or running just on the way out to the car).
He is such a trooper and still thinks the whole thing is kind of cool. But it is going to be a looooooong 4 weeks!!



1 comment:

livelaughlove68 said...

It sounds like another exciting and adventure-filled week at the Jordan house! Sorry, we missed your calls yesterday...we had not one, but two playdates yesterday. Wanted to catch up with all of our friends before we head back Jaren heads back to school on Monday!