Thursday, April 2, 2009

Egg #2

Egg #2
Item Inside: a cotton ball sprayed with perfume
Message: Mary poured expensive perfume on Jesus' feet. Jesus foretells of His own coming death and burial when he answers the questions of the disciples.
Scripture to Read: John 12:2-8
2Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. 3Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
4But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5"Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages.[b]" 6He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
7"Leave her alone," Jesus replied. " It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

When I read this passage, I am reminded that God is all knowing and all powerful. He is in complete control, no matter how ridiculous the events of my day might seem (and, trust me, today was pretty ridiculous!!!). See, Jesus clearly knew what was going to happen. He wasn't a victim, nor was He surprised when the Jews cried out to have him crucified. In fact, He was in on the whole thing. It was all part of His plan, set out before the beginning of time and predicted thousands of years before throughout the writing of the Old Testament, to glorify God. Knowing that Jesus is the one I have as a model, that also tells me that my purpose (and that of everyone else He has created) is to glorify Him as well. Of course, I am a sinner and an utter failure most days, but I can glorify God in the simplest of things: not grumbling, being humble rather than prideful, exhibiting self-control, resisting the urge to judge others, showing love and grace to people who may not deserve it. All in the name of the Lord who is the only one who can possibly equip me to do any of those things.

No comments: