Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Egg #4

Ok, so I have completely dropped the ball on the Easter Egg posts, but I plan on getting all caught up tonight!
It has been an eventful, both good and not so good, few days. More on that later...

Egg #4
Item inside: Coins. (we used 3 dimes since they are silver and together they make 30 cents)
Message: Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.
Scripture to read: Matthew 27:1-4
1Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people came to the decision to put Jesus to death. 2They bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate, the governor.
3When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders. 4"I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood."
"What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility."

Both kids were super-excited about the dimes. Who wouldn't be?! I'm not sure that they actually understand this part of the story though. Elias is starting to, but I think he is confused about why on earth anyone would have done what Judas did.
And yet I think about how I do this just about every day. I sell myself out. I betray what I know Jesus stands for. And I do it for things less valuable than 30 pieces of silver. Surprised?? I bet, with a little self-examination, we would all realize how much like Judas we each are.

The interesting thing about this is that, really, we can't NOT be like this. The Bible says that "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." So, basically, we can't help it. We are sinners- every single one of us. And none of us can reach eternity with God without Jesus' forgiveness. None of us. I may not have been the one who handed Jesus over to the authorities, but my sins are just as ugly as Judas'. And I am so thankful that I won't have to pay the penalty I deserve for that ugliness, because Jesus already did.

No comments: