Monday, February 16, 2009

The Hill

Does anyone else out there own a bed with a hill in the middle? Our king mattress is almost 9 years old, and it is one of those "no flip" mattresses. You are supposed to just turn it every 6 months so that your head is where your feet were before. The thing is, you still have 2 bodies lying in the same ruts as before. Eventually, you have what looks like an un-plowed, 2-day-old snowy street in Indiana. Or a muddy farm road in Texas. There are 2 dips- one where we each sleep- and a hill in the middle.
I discovered this phenomenon about a year ago when I inadvertently rolled over after Adaryll had left for work early one morning. You wouldn't believe how much more support there is on that hill! It is like 8 inches of brand new mattress! Of course, I have to lay perfectly still or I roll to one side or the other. Still, those 30 minutes on the hill each morning are so nice.
I guess it is time for a new mattress. Ok, maybe it was time a year ago when the hill first appeared. Blah.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Mine is more like a valley in the middle. :)

Andrea said...

LOL...We just had that exact same experience. I wondered if it would be better to lay across the hill and valleys...but then it's like you're on a roller coaster.

We got a new mattress in January and my life is so much better. I actually sleep now.

And if you go mattress shopping, don't try to save money by not getting the (very expensive) box springs. They really do make a difference. And you will eventually give in and buy those, as well.

tricia said...

Grr. We have some type of pillow top on our fairly new mattress and I was wondering about this, since you can't flip it. I was hoping that it was some type of really cool design that would magically deal with this. Very bummed to hear such is not the case. Maybe we can remain hill-free since we are still in the double bed I inherited years ago from my great grandmother- not much room for a hill to develop, we pretty much take up the whole bed :).

Anonymous said...

I hate to even mention this because it is so expensive. It certainly is an investment. We bought a Tempur-pedic a few years ago and every time we travel I can't wait to get back to it. I highly recommend it. And if you decide against it, it's the pillow top that dooms you. Stay away from it.

Ki said...

Where, oh where, has Wordless Wednesday gone?