Saturday, November 29, 2008

What's This?

Elias brought me a cassette tape the other day. By his reaction, I am guessing that he had probably never seen one before.
"What's this?" he asked?
"It's a tape. It has music on it like a CD." I answered.
With a questioning look on his face, he stared down at the tape he was holding. He kind of seemed doubtful. "How do you listen to it?" he asked me.
So I took him up to his room where he has an old boombox that he sometimes uses to listen to CD's or the radio while he plays. He didn't know that it could also play tapes! He was thrilled when I showed him how to put it in and push play. It was one of those tapes that goes with a book and dings when it is time to turn the page. We found several others and he spent the next hour or so listening to them.
Also, a few weeks ago I saw someone giving away a typewriter on a freecycle site. I emailed them and picked it up the next day. Once I showed Elias how it worked, he spent the next several days typing things. Being the perfectionist that he is, it was quite frustrating to not have "backspace". He has learned that he can X-out things that are misspelled and then try again.
Funny how something so "old-school" can be so entertaining!

No comments: