Wednesday, May 13, 2009

First Trip to the Dentist

Elena had her first trip to the dentist Monday. Well, not her FIRST trip to the dentist, but HER first trip to the dentist. (That would have made more sense if you could have heard my voice inflection and emphasis. You just can't type that.)
She has been to the dentist with Elias and I each three times now, and nothing painful happened to her any of those times. In fact, she was given a new toothbrush (one of her top 5 favorite things in life) and a toy from the grab basket each time. So, when I told her that she had her own dentist appointment Monday, she was actually pretty fired up! They have toys in the waiting room and everyone there is super nice, so what's to be afraid of, right?
If yall could only see the acting job I have put on at the dentist's office the last year and a half. I should seriously win a prize. See, I am terrified of the dentist. Ok, maybe not now, because I have been every 6 months since we moved here and we received dental coverage. But I think it had been probably 3 years before that. And maybe 4 or 5 before that. You get the picture. What's interesting is that I have always disliked the dentist, even though I have never had a cavity or a filling. I did have a HORRIBLE experience with my wisdom teeth surgery, but I was freaked about the dentist years before that. Like make-myself-sick freaked.
But my first appointment with our dentist here was piggy-backed with an appointment for Elias. So I had to act like it was something super-fun. "Yay- someone is going to scrape 3 years worth of plaque from UNDER my gums with a really pokey thing! GREAT! Wooo-hooo!" I actually ended up asking for a numbing cream it was so painful. But Elias feel for it- hook, line, and sinker. And he has LOVED going to the dentist ever since. (even when the dentist had ME pull his 2nd tooth using the tooth-pulling-tool while we were there last October. Apparently Elias is lacking in the pain-sensing-nerve-department)
Elena fell for the act as well and was so excited for her first "tooth shower". (again, I am confused about why she would look forward to this considering she is scared of the actual shower.) The goal was to get her in the chair and count her teeth. Instead, she had a full cleaning and exam by both the hygienist and the dentist!! Her teeth all looked great, but we may be concerned about an under bite. Beth C.- her bottom teeth were actually in front of her top teeth when she bit down. He wasn't sure if she was being silly or if it was her real bite. YIKES! I'm hoping for silly. Haven't really noticed that before. Any tips on getting a good look at it??
btw, the bows on her head are a sample of the bows I am making and selling. i promise a post on that whole thing is coming soon!

2 comments:

carter family said...

I am glad to hear that she loved the dentist. See we really aren't that bad !)
What a cute little smile she has.

Willow said...

Your kids are just too cute!!!