Monday, March 9, 2009

Fashion Sense

In case you were wondering, I am not the right person to ask for fashion advice. I mean, I like to look cute at all, but not at the same cost others are willing to pay. When I am making a clothing purchase, the main things that I consider are: does it fit right?, is it comfortable?, will it need to be ironed/dry-cleaned?, and THEN is it trendy? See, I'm just not all that into trendy. That is, unless the trend happens to fit and be very comfortable and easy to clean. :) I am more concerned with whether it is in-style enough for me to not look like a complete idiot. To me, that is pretty much as good as trendy. I like to think that I, for the most part, look put-together. Just not in a magazine sort of way. More like in a classic jeans and girly polo with flip-flops sort of way. With my hair in a ponytail and an au-natural face most of the time. It's just who I am.
So, I got a pretty big laugh the other night when Adaryll asked me for advice. You see, Adaryll is at the other end of the spectrum on fashion. He has been known to iron jeans. He is up on the trends and can usually tell me what is hip in L.A. and N.Y. I don't know how he knows all of this, he just does.
So, the other night we were out to dinner and he asks me, out of the blue, "So what shoes do you think I should wear with those new brown pants I just got?"
It's funny that, in every other aspect of life, I am the planner and he is fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants. Not with this. Most days, he has planned in his mind what he would like to wear. I, on the other hand, have no idea until I actually put something on. So, it was hard for me to identify with even thinking about what in the closet would go with what else in the closet without actually standing in the closet.
I started to answer. "Well, I guess if you were wearing a black shirt with the brown pants, then you would wear black shoes. But if you were wearing a baby blue shirt with the brown pants, you could wear brown shoes. Or black ones. Is this a trick? And, really, why are you asking me this anyway? I don't know why you would ask for my opinion anyway when you know that I am fashionally inept."
*both of us stare blankly and then start laughing hard*
He says, "If you really think that I think that, it's only because you just said 'fashionally'."
:)

No comments: