Monday, October 29, 2007

The Deep, Deeper, and Not So Deep

Friday (Oct 26) Night: The Deeper (after Bible story at bedtime)
Elias: Who are the disciples?
Mom: These guys in the picture. And that is Jesus. You can be a disciple too.
E: I can? What's a disciple?
M: Well, a disciple is someone who loves God very much and wants to do what Jesus says. You can do that too.
E: Yes. And then will he make a place for me in heaven too? (from the story)
M: Yes- he is making a place for you in heaven.
E: He is making a place for EVERYONE in heaven!
M: No, actually not everyone will go to heaven.
E: Who won't go to heaven?
M: People who don't love God.
E: What kind of people don't love God?
M: People who think they don't need God. They think they can do everything by themselves.
E: People who don't love God have a different colored heart.
M: Really?
E: They have dark hearts.
M: Hmmm, maybe.
E: So where will they go?
M: They will go to live with the devil.
E: Who is the devil?
M: He was an angel who thought he could be better than God so God sent him away.
E: What is that place called?
M: It's called Hell.
E: JAIL!?!?!?!
M: No, hell.
E: What's in hell?
M: Fire, and hurting and the devil. But not God. And it is a place with no love.
E: (with big tears) I don't want to go to the place with no love.
M: You don't have to, honey. You just love God and follow him and you will go to heaven.
E: But I don't know much about God.
M: Well, we will keep reading your Bible every night and learning about God.
E: We need to read the black Bible (my Bible because his is a story Bible- not full text)
M: Tell you what, tomorrow we will go and get you your very own big Bible to read.
E: OK. But Mommy?
M: mmm-hmmm
E: Some of the words in the Bible are in Spanish.
(Which all led to a trip to Lifeway to buy a new Bible for the boy)


Saturday (Oct 27) night: The Not So Deep (in the bath)
Elias: Mommy, why don't we have tails?
Mom: Because God did not make people have tails.
Elias: Oh.


Monday (Oct 29) daytime: The Deep
Elias: I don't want to go to heaven. I want to stay with you here where there is a lot of love.
Mom: Oh, well you don't have to go to heaven today. That is for when you die.
E: When I die?
M: Yes, probably someday when you get old.
E: Will I see you there?
M: Yes, I hope so!
E: I dreamed last night that I went to God's house in heaven. And me and you and Daddy were there. Elena was in a baby heaven.

Monday (Oct 29) daytime: Ok, this is getting tougher by the minute!!!
Elias: Mommy, why did Jesus have to get punished?

I guess noone ever said it would be easy, huh?? Seems to me the first years are physically tiring doing all the bathing, butt wiping, chasing, feeding, etc. But now we are entering the mentally exhausting years of having to know the answers to everything!!!

6 comments:

jen armstrong said...

you go mama and daddy jordan. what a little stud you are raising. keep it up!

McCullough Family said...

Wow!! I hope we can be as wise as you Jen : ) How exciting that God is working in E's heart!

The Write Memories said...

Good Morning,

We have never met, but I felt compelled to pen you a line or two. I got your site from my daughter, April Williams. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your dialoge with your child about God. Wow. Priceless. keep up the awesome work!

blessings, ellen

Matt said...

Just catchin' up. Aren't those convo's amazing! I'm amazed at how deep little kids can be at times. So neat! And you'll be glad you journaled it for save keeping! We love ya'll.-myra

amypfan said...

When Bryn gets old enough to ask questions and I'm at a loss for what to say, I'm sending her next door.... you'll be quite the pro by then if Elias keeps up at this rate! :) Happy Thanksgiving!!

keeprunnin said...

Say it again, sister, mentally exhausting!!!!