Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Mommy, What year were you born in?

Conversation in the kitchen as I prepared dinner yesterday:
Elias: *runs in out of breath* Mom! I was born in 2002! What year were you born in?
Me: 1976. (that never sounded like a LONG time ago until i JUST said it)
Elias: WOW!!!! That was a looooooooooong time ago!!!!!!
Me: MmHmm.
Elias: What did they have back then?
Me: (thinking- "back then??? really???")
Elias: Did they have houses?
Me: *laughing hysterically now* YES WE HAD HOUSES!
Elias: What else did you have?
Me: Well, we had t.v. But no DVD. We got VCR's when I was a little girl though. (didn't even try to explain BETA vs VHS)
Elias: Did you have a phone?
Me: (how old does this kid think I am????) YES WE HAD PHONES!!!! Only for the house though. We didn't have phones for the car. Actually, we got one when I was a little girl and it was bigger than this house phone.
Elias: What about video games?
Me: We did have a video game. I was probably about your age when we got it. It was an Atari. And then we got a Nintendo a few years later.
Elias: Nintendo DS or Nintendo Wii?
Me: Nope. Just Nintendo. The ORIGINAL.
Elias: Hmm. What games did you play on it?
Me: Super Mario Brothers.
Elias: Oh yeah! Like Mario Cart?
Me: Nope. Just Super Mario Brothers.
Elias: What did the controls look like?
Me: OLD.

6 comments:

Millers said...

Funny the things they come up with to talk about isn't it. Thanks for sharing your story, glad to know that my kids aren't the only ones that think I am old. LOL :)

Jordan said...

That is hilarious, Jen.

I have good memories of Atari and the original Nintendo!

Glad you could give Elias a history lesson; it is wild how much has changed since we were all growing up.

Meghan said...

Awesome :) My brothers had Atari growing up and when I was in 5th grade mom and dad got us SEGA. I don't think that is even around any more. hmmm.

Cathy said...

I was 10 bwhen my Dad got a Nintendo, and my Mom got the Sega. Remember those wacky things called records...

Aunt Jenny said...

Wow! You're old.

tricia said...

So, so super funny!!! My kids think I am 100 too. Hannah used to talk about getting to drive or get married or something and say "Well, you'll be dead then", like I am 95 and going to keel over at any time!