Friday, March 21, 2008

The Corner


Elena had her first (and, unfortunately, second) time-outs this week. I suddenly realized one day that she is old enough to know what we have told her not to do and to remember it from one day to the next. So, when she pulled files out of the drawer last week, one piece of paper at a time, I decided it was time for her to sit in the corner. I sternly told her to "Go sit in that corner" and she quickly did. I'm not sure why I was surprised she knew what that meant- she really understands way more than I give her credit for (thus her ability to manipulate me!!!!) And so began our first "time out". As she sat there pouting silently with tears welled up in her eyes, I had to take a picture. What was really funny was when she realized what I was doing, she put on this big smile and said "Cheeeeeeese!". Then I had to tell her sternly "You did not obey Mommy. You stay in the corner." Then she pouted again. I figured the time out thing would sort of lose its effect if she thought it was all about having pictures taken! So, after a minute or so, she said "Sorry" and we hugged and I forgave the filing mess. The pouting was just too cute to keep to myself though....

3 comments:

The Spears said...

Way way too cute. How could anyone be mad at that face!! OOh, this one's going to give you trouble. The eyes and lip alone will be hard to resist.

jen armstrong said...

oooh, my favorite face! i'm serious, i love that face. it's one of the perks of having to discipline--they're so stinking cute when they pout. well, she is!

amypfan said...

This is too precious! She's going to be a little manipulator--watch out!! :)