Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Literal

Kids are so stinkin' literal about everything, aren't they? It amazes me how often they just don't get a joke or a prank because they are so focused on the exact words used and what they ought to mean. For example:

Me: Elena, do you want to come upstairs with me? I need to fix my hair.
Elena: Oooooh noooooooo! Mommy! You hair is broken!? (yes, sometimes she says "you" and not "your"- it is quite cute)

Or how about this one:
Me: Elias, you didn't find your coat at school today?
Elias: No. We can just buy a new one.
Me: Well, that costs money.
Elias: But you have two hundred dollars! (he knows this because I bought $200 worth of groceries Saturday and he was very concerned about whether or not I would be able to foot that bill. At the cash register, I proudly told him that, yes, I did have $200 for the groceries.)
Me: But I spent all that on groceries, remember?
Elias: Oh. Well, we can order it online then. (I guess he thinks we don't pay for things we order online that just magically appear in boxes on our porch?)
Me: We still have to pay for that stuff honey.
Elias: oh.
Me: Maybe you should get a job at HEB and earn some money. You could be a cashier.
Elias: Noooooo, I already told you, when I grow up I want to be a worker. (he recently told me that he wants to be one of the guys that fixes roads and builds bridges)
Me: Well, then maybe you should get a job as a worker and earn some money to buy a new coat.
Elias: I can't. I am not old enough. And I don't know how to build stuff yet. (man, this guy really should be a lawyer, shouldn't he?)
Me: I know. I am kidding. Maybe I should go be a worker.
Elias: Noooooooooooooooo! I want you to me my Mommy!!!!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Kids say the Darndest Things! My family still jokes because I used to tell them, "Why don't we go to the bank, push the buttons and the money comes out?" Obviously THAT'S where money comes from.