Monday, June 2, 2008

The Project Has Begun!

We have decided that it is time to move Elena out of the crib and into a "big girl bed". I started looking at beds online (craigslist, etc) several months ago in anticipation of this and just couldn't find what I was wanting for what I was willing to pay. So (don't laugh) I decided to build her one. It is going to be a 3-sided twin daybed and the 3 sides are going to look like a picket fence. I found a quilt several months ago that has birds on it (she has been mesmerized by birds for about a year now), so I will paint birds sitting on the fence. I also got an old wooden dresser on craigslist that I will paint white with birds as well.
I took all the lumber to Charlie and Sandy's (remember Charlie- he was the mastermind behind the backyard playground assembly) last Friday and got all the pieces cut. We made 46 pickets from 1x4 lumber and "dog-eared" each one using this miter saw. Now you know what I want for Christmas!!! :)
I still have to get Elena a mattress and a couple of sets of sheets, but I am hoping to finish everything in the next 3 weeks and actually move it all into her room on her birthday (June 29th)!


5 comments:

jen armstrong said...

i am so jealous of your power tool knowledge. and making her bead...that just plain rocks! do put pics of the finished product. i've gotta see it!

jen armstrong said...

um...that's supposed to be "bed," in my comments-by the way!

amypfan said...

You are the handiest person I know! You'd better be posting pictures when you're done.

Jay and April said...

I wanna know when you get all this time to make a bed! Do share por favor...

McCullough Family said...

You are SO AMAZING!!! Can't find what you want, just build it! I bet the kids are going to have awesome school projects in the future :)