Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankfulness Garland

Remember how we used to make garland out of construction paper strips by taping them into loops and linking them together? I always loved doing crafts like that when I was little! My sister has been working on one of these with her son for several days, but she added a Thanksgiving twist. On each strip of paper, her son writes something he is thankful for. I love the idea of doing this over the course of several weeks and fostering the idea of thankfulness in the hearts of my kids. But since we only have 3 days left until Thanksgiving, and we had a full day today with nothing to do, we decided to do this whole project in one morning.
I used my paper cutter to cut strips of construction paper (which was super quick and easy!) and then asked the kids what they would like to thank God for. Seriously, I think they could have gone on and on and on forever. The only reason we stopped was that I ran out of glue dots. Some of their answers were really sweet and others made me laugh. After writing down all their answers, we linked all the loops together and ended up with a masterpiece.
If you have not already done some sort of activity like this with your kids this year, I would highly recommend this one. It was easy, fun, and now we have something to decorate the house with through Christmas!
So here it is- the grand list of thankfulness.
We are thankful for...
Summertime.
Paper.
Barney.
Aunt Sandra.
Music.
Restaurants.
Crayons.
My first basketball lesson in January.
God.
Time.
Papa-G and Gladys.
Blankies.
Going to places that are fun.
Wii Fit.
Honey and Raun.
Christmas.
AWANA.
Mrs. Blasig.
The Bible.
Ms. Horvath.
Grandma Jane and Grampa Morrie.
ABC's.
Elena.
Mario Cart.
Thanksgiving.
The Millers.
Birds.
The McCollums.
Classmates.
Grandma-Great.
Mr. Frog.
Kelii.
Mommy.
The Batistas.
Jaren.
Mrs. McGee.
Balls.
TV.
My backyard.
My bed.
Crocs.
Brent and Jenna Spears from Georgia.
GrandDad and Oma.
Hugs and kisses.
Daddy.
Jean and Jerry.
Mrs. Fones.
Toys.
Houses.
Sunday school friends.
The Himelicks.
My church.
Songs.
Elias.
Granny.
Hairbows.
Milk.
The Jacksons.
Books.
Downtown.
Holloway.
Mountains.
Pictures.
My family.
Aunt Jenny and Uncle Jeff
Craft.
Wii.
My brain.
Roller coasters.
Jesus.
Mr. Pig.
Friends.
Pajama days.
The zoo.
Ice water.
McDonalds.
The Pointers.
Coloring.
Babysitters.
Cousins.
Birthdays.
Bookmarks.
Candy.
Airplanes.
Breakfast.
Snow.

3 comments:

Willow said...

Tell the kids to make one more for us, The Willig family is thankful for the Jordan family! Gobble, Gobble.

The Spears said...

Oh I love this! We are so very thankful for the Jordan family. Lena's singing brought joy to us tonight. We were able to swim longer because of the good mood she put us in. Now that is something to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

yay, i made the cut! ;)